Sunday 23 December 2007

On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me.............


24th December 2007

A partidge in a pear tree

The popular song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" is usually seen as simply a nonsense song for children. However, some have suggested that it is a song of Christian instruction dating to the 16th century religious wars in England, with hidden references to the basic teachings of the Faith. They contend that it was a mnemonic device to teach the catechism to youngsters. The "true love" mentioned in the song is not an earthly suitor, but refers to God Himself. The "me" who receives the presents refers to every baptized person who is part of the Christian Faith. Each of the "days" represents some aspect of the Christian Faith that was important for children to learn.

http://www.cresourcei.org/cy12days.html

Personally I like the song because it's jolly and cheerful!

I had planned a lovely romantic dinner for Christmas eve, it is our first married christmas after all, and in line with the first true love gift I had thought a lovely meal of partridge followed by pears soaked in coffee. But as Tesco didn't deliver the Partridge (sent 2 poussin instead!) and I forgot to buy the tin pears, we will make do with roast beef and yorkshire puds instead!

No comments: